Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Thoughts About Divergent

You may have heard about the book "Divergent" by Veronica Roth lately. There's been a lot of buzz about it, but I had read it somewhere last year, when it had just come out. Today, I finished reading it for the second time. I usually stress the fact that I NEVER reread a book. EVER. But, sadly, I haven't read a book for more than about three months, so I am getting a little dusty, and I currently have no access to a public library (I'm currently overseas), so I've started to jumble up the books I've read. Imagine starting the second book in the series "Insurgent", yesterday,  and I have absolutely no clue what's going on. Who the characters are. What they did, what they need to do. Nothing. And so I backtracked and read the first book again - e-book version. Divergent is just a wonderful read. As I started reading, the story came back to me, and by the end of the book, I was just, like, oooooooh, that's who Will is. And Cal. And all the other characters. I don't want to spoil the story for you, but if you enjoy YA fiction, this book is just simply amazing. 
Another good thing about rereading books (although I don't plan on rereading any others) is that the first time you read it, you enjoy it. The second time, you can sit down and analyze it.
From Goodreads: "In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her."
The characters are extremely well developed that I can easily visualize. Tris, the backbone of the story, goes from a weak, helpless character to a strong-willed brave girl not afraid to fight back. The transition, her relationships with various people, everything is so natural. IT'S BELIEVABLE. And, trust me, I've read a LOT of books that aren't. Surprisingly, the only thing that bugged me were the names she chose. Beatrice? I don't know - I don't like it. She later changes her name to Tris, which sounds better, in my opinion, but I still think there are much prettier names out there. Then, there's Four. (Yes, yes, his nickname is Four) I'm fine with that, but then Tris knows that his real name is Tobias, and she starts using that. Tobias??? It's, like, the two main characters had major naming problem - sorry, Veronica. Caleb? < Okay, fine, I'm slightly okay with that one. Marcus (actually, I kind of like it)? Uriah? Al? (Because she says AL, not ALBERT. Full names are so much better in some cases) But, there were actually two names that I actually LIKED. (All the others I was somewhat okay with) Will. Don't ask me why I love that name. And Christina. Much better than some other names. Apart from this naming problem, I won't say much about the story right now. Because you really should read it. And because "Insurgent" is waiting for me (it's on my bed RIGHT NOW). And because I still haven't really "analyzed" the story yet. But I will. I mean, like, the third installment of the trilogy comes out in fall 2013. I will have a LOT of time to think about the first two books. Although I have heard that there is an awful cliffhanger at the end of the book and I must admit I am quite afraid to read it. And have to face the cliffhanger. Wish me luck! I PROMISE I'll be back with more on Divergent, ASAP.