Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Summing Up MY Life: An Infatuation with Words

For many writers the worst part of the writing experience is the very beginning, when they're sitting at the kitchen table staring at a blank sheet of paper or in front of that unblinking and perfectly empty computer monitor. "I have nothing to say," is the only thing that comes to mind. "I am XX years old and I have done nothing, discovered nothing, been nothing, and there are absolutely no thoughts in my head that anyone would ever want to read about." (The Guide to Grammer and Writing)
Well, at least I know I'm not the only one.
But when it all boils down, is that really all that's left? Nothing?
So I was reading an interview with author Nova Ren Suma (check out her YA novel, Imaginary Girls, and MG novel, Dani Noir), who I suspect is about to get popular, if she isn't already, and one of the questions was, "How would you describe your life in only 8 words?"
And then she had the perfect answer. "Doors open, doors close. Doors close, doors open."
Stunning.
They could have given me a thousand years and I wouldn't have been able to come up with something so intricate and impeccable. Not intricate intricate. Just intricate, like, the feel of intricate, with all the swirls and delicacy and exquisiteness. Philosophy.
But if I were asked a question like that, I'm not sure what my answer would be.
List of semi-acceptable answers to "my thoughts on life in minimal words":
- I'm a chameleon.
- No matter how low I get, my eyeballs are always looking up. Sometimes, it saves me from a mouthful of dirt.
- I only do things I know I won't regret
- Confidence is something only you can give to yourself
- Dude, we all die in the end
I don't think I can sum up my life in eight words. I couldn't sum it up in a book. I love to philosophize (if that's even a word).
Oh. My. God. There's this word for when a person uses to much words - way more than necessary - to get a point or idea across. According to the Macmillan Dictionary, the word I'm looking for is circuitous which means "taking a long time to say what you really mean when you are talking or writing abut something", but that's not the word I'm looking for. I studied it in English class some time ago - a long time ago - and the word's on the tip of my tongue just itching and burning to get out, but Nope. With a capital N. As I'm sure you've noticed. The feeling's called presque vu. If you trust me, check this Youtube video out. It explains, in a fun way, the science behind deja vu and all those other feelings. It's by the Youtube channel Vsauce, and I do recommend you watch it - when I learned of the channel's existence, I went through the videos one by one.


 

This Macmillan Dictionary also has some other words, but none are the ones I'm looking for. Or maybe they are. 
Word 1: Wordy: using more words than are necessary, especially long or formal words. Nope, not what I'm looking for. Come on. You think I would have had all this trouble trying to remember the word wordy?
Word 2: Verbose: using more words than necessary, and therefore long and boring. Maybe. This word's weird enough for me to have trouble remembering it. Maybe not.
Word 3: Rambling: I know what rambling means! Nope, definitely not this word.
I'm tired of searching. This word infatuation does NOT mean I'm going to read the dictionary.