Friday, March 15, 2013

Crutch Words



          I think I'm the only one who finds goodreads.com and dictionary.com a thousand times more interesting than social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter. But they really are interesting. One of the articles was about crutch words. Crutch words are words we use when we talk, that add nothing to the meaning of the sentence, and are usually placed there to give the speaker more time to think about what he's going to say, or add emphasis - which they don't. I use a lot of these when I speak - so much that I don't even notice I'm using them - and I've unconsciously moved that to my writing. I use the word "umm" in my writing! And "like"! (Confession: I've written an e-mail to my english teacher, starting it with umm... I might have been slightly stupid at the time.)When I write, especially on this blog, I think about what I'm saying and write it down, so I end up writing down all those unnecessary word like "like" and "umm". And when I speak, I lengthen the word, so instead of saying a short "umm", I would say something that went more towards humming. "ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm". Or that sound some people supposedly make when they're meditating. Somebody once advised me to say "and" instead of "umm", because it wold sound more of a transition between thoughts than whatever it sounds like, and so I tried it. I ended up saying something more like "annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd", which sounds a lot more stupid than "umm". So I went back to "umm". The biggest problem is that when a girl uses crutch words, she sounds ditzy. And I promise I have a lot of...stuff inside my head. When a guy uses crutch words, he sounds lame. In both cases, one should avoid using these words, but from a girl's point of view, it much worse for girls. Lame is just lame, while ditzy is Ditzy. If you use anyone of the following words, then you are guilty of being vocally impaired (not vocally like sound vocally, vocally like word vocally)


  • Actually:  From The dictionary. Quote for quote: actually |ˈak ch oōəlē| This word is used excessively in modern society and is no longer considered part of the English language. Look under street slang.
  • Anyway: Because I was off topic.
  • Literally: When I was in middle school, I picked up using this word. The problem was, I had no clue what it meant. All I knew was that people said it after they were finished presenting an idea which the other person was skeptical about, and wanted to convince them. I didn't think the idea had to be true. I clearly remember the incident in which I learned the meaning of literally. I was talking to girl a grade younger than me, and I was telling her about PE that day, and how all the heat had almost dehydrated me. "I drank 3 water bottles," I'd said, my eyes wide, my head bobbing. "Literally, 3 bottles. All at once. Literally. That's how thirsty I was. Literally." "Literally?" she'd asked, her eyes bulging, drinking a lot of water being the most interesting piece of news when we were in 6th grade. But then the smart alek squinted at me and asked, "Where'd you get them? all three of them?" And then she told me what literally meant, literally. It meant, no joke. Problem is, I still use it in the same incorrect context today.
  • Apparently: I say this a lot. I think it sounds smart. Apparently, it doesn't
  • Obviously: This is even worse than apparently. If it's obvious, why are you even saying it. You will sound silly and stupid. Say it, but without saying the obviously. That way, people won't realize how obvious what you pointed out was. But smart people use this word a lot, too. Because, they feel so smart and mighty, they feel like, see, this is obvious to me because I'm so smart, but you're going to have to think about it, because to normal dimwitted people like you, it's not so obvious. I hate those people.
  • Basically: This is telling the person you're talking to that he's so thick you have to simplify everything you say so he can understand. You have to make it basic, so it can get through.
  • Honestly: This is overused by people who lie a lot.
  • Like: My English teacher: Imane, why is your whole essay a simile? Actually, everything you say is a simile. Metaphors are much more popular. Try using them. Stop saying "like". It's extremely unprofessional.
  • Seriously: Since 1700, making jokesters look bad.
  • You know: followed by the person trailing off. No, I don't know either. Please do explain. Ooh, you don't know either, do you? Haha, what's really interesting is that I use this phrase a lot when presenting my science project. It goes along the lines of "My project is about, you know, science, and, you know, stuff...So, a hypothesis is, you know..." I wonder what that says about me. 
          As for what I'm reading, I've just finished trudging through Requiem, the third and final book of the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver. I have the Assured Destruction by Micheal F. Stewart blog tour coming over soon, and I just received my arc, so I have to get down to reading that. It sounds super cool. It looks even better. Even the author picture is way out there. Scroll down to see.

          And before I forget, I think I mentioned something about not knowing when online people die in an earlier post. Or maybe I forgot. Is is normal to get Alzheimer's when your still in highschool? Or is that Parkinson's? But back to dying. Imagine somebody dies today - god forbid. That person has a blog, with no personal information. Or say it does have personal information. Anyway, the blog followers have come to expect posts from that person on a regular basis. It doesn't even have to be a blog. It could be a twitter account. That person didn't give his account password to anybody. The followers would get angry at the person for not posting, when the poor person is dead. Dead. But how would they know?



Assured Destruction Promo Thingie


Title: Assured Destruction (Book #1)
Author: Michael F. Stewart
Release date: March 22, 2013
Genre: Mystery
Age Group: Young Adult


 
Sixteen-year-old Jan Rose knows that nothing is ever truly deleted. At least, not from the hard drives she scours to create the online identities she calls the Shadownet.


Hobby? Art form? Sad, pathetic plea to garner friendship, even virtually? Sure, Jan is guilty on all counts. Maybe she’s even addicted to it. It’s an exploration. Everyone has something to hide. The Shadownet’s hard drives are Jan’s secrets. They're stolen from her family’s computer recycling business Assured Destruction. If the police found out, Jan’s family would lose their livelihood.

When the real people behind Shadownet’s hard drives endure vicious cyber attacks, Jan realizes she is responsible. She doesn’t know who is targeting these people or why but as her life collapses Jan must use all her tech savvy to bring the perpetrators to justice before she becomes the next victim.



 
About the Author
After crewing ships in the Antarctic and the Baltic Sea and some fun in venture capital, Michael anchored himself (happily) to a marriage and a boatload of kids. Now he injects his adventurous spirit into his writing with brief respites for research into the jungles of Sumatra and Guatemala, the ruins of Egypt and Tik’al, paddling the Zambezi and diving whatever cave or ocean reef will have him. He is a member of the International Thriller Writers and SF Canada, and the author of the Assured Destruction series, 24 Bones, The Sand Dragon, Hurakan, Ruination and several award winning graphic novels for young adults.


Oh! And, as Caesar puts it, "Beware the Ides of March". For today is the day. Actually, Ides of March is just the fancy Shakespearean way of saying March fifteenth. Just another unconventional word with a conventional meaning.