Thursday, March 21, 2013

Going Incognito

I used to love that word. Incognito. Secrecy and undercover agents (you know, I used to want to grow up and become an undercover agent?). And then Google started using it for incognito mode, which is like private browsing, and then it didn't feel so much like a word that would be spoken in hushed tones than like some kind of dirty alien hybrid word. But anyway, I'm going incognito. Well, I'm planning on doing so, at least. I won't be posting frequently - if at all - until April, as I have some personal stuff coming up, so this is my sorry in advance apology letter. But since I'm the kind of person who pokes her head back in twenty times after she closes the door to a room, I have a feeling this is a going to be a slightly long apology/goodbye letter. Actually, be forewarned, this is going to be long. I'm going to address several issues that have been poking me for this past week. And I just might post a lot more frequently than you're expecting.
  • Application Essays
I hate those things. Actually, I think I hate applications as an all around thing. I've forgotten about this because I've applied for nothing, nowhere for a few years, but an incident a few days ago with a friend who was filling out an application brought back all those horrible feelings. I especially hate the kind of questions that go along the lines of "why do you want to apply", "what do you think you would gain if you participated", "why do you think you will be chosen", "what do you think of...{the list is long. one of the most frequent ones is 'racial diversity'} in this program/institution". Thankfully, I haven't filled up and application for a long time, and I'm not planning on filling on up soon. I can't exactly justify my unnatural hatefulness towards application essays, though. Except why don't they choose good prompts? Ones that are not so torturous to write about? Ones that I don't have zero good ideas about?
  • This article. Maybe mumbling in my sleep is perfectly normal, considering. 
  • Books!
Right now, a have a ton of books. Some are arcs, some are ones that just came out, others are ones I've been wanting to read for some time but never found the time. I few of the titles I have are Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz, which I received as an arc, but I have a strong suspicion it's already come out. I feel like the world's biggest let-down, and I think the publishers hate me. Publishers send me their books before they're actually published and available for people to buy, so I can read and review, spread the word, and what do I do? I download the book onto my kindle, and leave it there. I plan on reading it, and then I forget. And then I remember when I see the book on the Barnes and Noble homepage under 'new releases'. For the next few books, since I have so many, I'm not sure which ones I received as arcs and which I bought myself, so just assume they're all arcs. Which they're not, but for the sake of the publishers. Let's assume they're that nice. Which they probably aren't. I also have Splintered by A. G. Howard, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, The Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi, Just One Day by Gayle Forman, An Abundance Of Kathrines and Looking For Alaska by John Green, Unwind by Neal Shusterman. None of which were provided to me as arcs. So don't assume. Anyhow, that probably means I won't be reading books at the same pace I'm used to (because of the same stuff I'm going incognito for) and my 'currently reading' book won't change so often, but do check back. I like it when you check back. 
  •   Those keep calm signs/posters. I have a few ideas, and as soon as I figure out how to make them, I'll make a few. And share them with you, of course. Plus, they're fun, funny, and kind of cheesy, which makes them better. In a way.