Friday, April 5, 2013

E is for Enclave


Each and every book I read leaves me with a "feel". It might be a rare form of synthesia, but when I think of a book, I think of it's "feel". Some books feel light and breezy, some could be concentrated, gloopy yellow, others silk smooth buttercup. The cover plays a part, the setting, what happens - it's the book's "feel" as a whole. I'm going to stop putting "feel" between quotes now. Sometimes, a books feel is normal enough that I could just call it a summarized review, like if I were to feel a book to be darkly alluring (I think I used that in a review), and sometimes it's just too wacko to put out there without explaining what exactly my book feel is. So this book's feel is grunge and shadows and that click click scurrying sound of a scorpion walking across a smooth metal surface. I can feel the grit under my fingernails, and my hair feels oily, and I'm breathing hard because I'm claustrophobic, except I think it's because I'm tired and going to die - how would I know what claustrophobia is when I've lived my whole live underground?

This book reminds me of one of my favorite MG series out there - Tunnels by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams (and that is, believe me, one of the best books ever. When I save up enough, I'm going to buy a bookshelf - the kind that looks like a frame and would be hung on the wall - and then buy the whole Tunnels series and display them on that shelf. As of now, I have neither the money nor the books nor the shelf) - even though the only similarity is that they both take place mostly underground. The book is about a girl. Living underground. Yeah, I'm bad at this. Here you go:  

In Deuce’s world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups–Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember. As a Huntress, her purpose is clear—to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She’s worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing’s going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce’s troubles are just beginning. Down below, deviation from the rules is punished swiftly and harshly, and Fade doesn’t like following orders. At first Deuce thinks he’s crazy, but as death stalks their sanctuary, and it becomes clear the elders don’t always know best, Deuce wonders if Fade might be telling the truth. Her partner confuses her; she’s never known a boy like him before, as prone to touching her gently as using his knives with feral grace. As Deuce’s perception shifts, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival. The mindless Freaks, once considered a threat only due to their sheer numbers, show signs of cunning and strategy… but the elders refuse to heed any warnings. Despite imminent disaster, the enclave puts their faith in strictures and sacrifice instead. No matter how she tries, Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she’s ever known


Since I'm trying to keep this short, will you just read the book? Please?