Monday, April 8, 2013

G is for Girl In The Steel Corset


I do not read steampunk. I do not enjoy steampunk. I do not even know what steampunk is. Actually, I do know what steampunk is, but that's besides the point. Anyway, this takes place in the Victorian era, and the girly girl that I am, I loved the gowns and dresses and carriages and tea. And before I start, I'd rate this book a 3/5. It's supposed to have a lot of mystery, but since I grew up watching Detective Conan (it's anime, and I still watch it), reading the Boxcar Children and Encyclopedia Brown, playing the Clue board game, and dreaming of becoming the next Sherlock Holmes, this was less of a mystery and more of joke, listening to the characters act stupid and blind. There's also zombies and a good-turned-bad brother. And the cover. If every book cover looked like this, I'd have a lot more books on my TBR pile. The detailing...the dress, the steel corset, the earrings, necklace in her hands, robotic finger, gears in the background. Breathtaking.

In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one...except the "thing" inside her.When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no "normal" Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch....
Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of "them." The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits: Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret.
Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help--and finally be a part of something, finally fit in.
But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on--even if it seems no one believes her.

 There were a few cliche things I didn't like, and there could have been a little more action, but it was a satisfying read. I like the "bad" side of Finley, which is like her own personal demon locked away inside of her, because the "real" Finley is too much of a Mary Jane, but by the end of the book the two parts supposedly are meshed together, so Finley ends up being a normal, not-too-perfect person. Finley doesn't remember what her "bad" side does when it takes over, and while that adds an air of suspense and mystery, I feel as if the book would have had a lot more spunk and adventure - and Finley would be portrayed as less Mary Jane and more kick-butt heroine - but it was satisfying. As I said, I don't really read steam punk, but I'm sure there are better books in this genre. An average read, that while I won't be re-reading this any time soon, I recommend you give it a try. Happy reading!