Monday, April 22, 2013

S is for Selection


There was a review on my Goodreads new feed, but for the life of me I can't remember who's it was. Anyway, the review said this book was like one of those reality shows, like "Toddlers Wear Tiaras", and even though you didn't want to watch it, you didn't want to like it, and you really, really just wanted to be able to get up and walk away, you didn't. You couldn't. This book was like that. And to whoever wrote that review, my applause - it hit the spot. You know the parts in The Hunger Games when Katniss is being taken to the Capitol, and when she's there, and how descriptive it is, that you can just imagine the finery in front of you? This was like that. The whole book was like that. And I loved every second of it. It's supposed to be a dystopia, so I don't think I'm supposed to love the world/world building as much as I do, but I did. Anyway, lots of people didn't exactly enjoy reading this book because of the same reason they don't enjoy Toddlers and Tiaras, but do give it a try. Also, this book is an almost Princess story, which makes it extra sweet. I love Princess stories as much as I love epilogues. Oh, and that cover is gorgeous. The main character actually wears a dress in the book, so kudos to you, Kiera.