I absolutely love interviewing authors. Jaime Guerard, author or Awaken, was no exception. Read on for her answers
First, what’s your favorite ice cream flavor, favorite thing for breakfast, and favorite drink? Because all bonding is done over food.
· My favorite ice cream (at the moment) is Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. Favor breakfast would have to be waffles and my favorite drink is coffee!
Describe your book, Awaken, in one sentence.
· Awaken is a story of love, pain, tragedy, deception, but ultimately it’s about the choices we make and how they can alter ones destiny.
The three top books on your TBR shelf?
· 1ST Allegiant by Veronica Roth (final Divergent novel), 2nd Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, 3rd Branded by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki.
What’s the worst part of the writing process?
· The worst part of the writing process would have to be the editing. You would think the initial writing would take the most time, but it’s not. I spent the most time going line by line and editing my manuscript. It was a lot of late nights and no sleep. Very tedious work, but it’s worth it!
When and how did you get the idea for Awaken? (Because an awful lot of people are getting ideas for books in the shower)
· LOL…well, I will say that I do get a lot of chapter ideas in the shower. However, the Awaken concept came to me on October 14th 2008. I was in my bedroom when the idea hit me! All three novels (the main events in each) flooded into my head and I knew I had to write it!
The most horrifying or funniest thing that happened to you while you were publishing?
· I really didn’t have a horrifying or funny thing that happened. The only thing that I can think of (that was truly memorable for me) was one of my really good author friends Megan Hand published her debut novel Bitter Angel on the same day as Awaken. We didn’t plan it (her novel was supposed to publish the day after mine) but it just so happened that our novels published on Amazon and Barnes and Noble on the same day. That was truly special and a great memory that I will always have.
Your favorite book of ALL time?
· Twilight by far! Twilight was the reason I began to write and had a deep passion for it.
YOUR dream cast for the book?
· This question is hard for me. I’ve come across some actors and models, but so far I haven’t found my “Breanna character”. For Collin, I found a model but I’ve searched for his name and I can’t find it. Same with Austin, no one has really stuck out to me except Austin Butler.
What’s you favorite quote/line?
· “Bre, I love you and I don’t know how to stop it. I can’t and I won’t.” – Austin, Awaken Series.
One embarrassing thing you’re afraid to admit? (Yeah, admit it)
· I’m afraid of the dark. I know…totally silly since I’m grown and shouldn’t be but I am.
Which comes first: title or book?
· Book in Awaken’s case. However, that’s not always true. I have several other novels (after the Awaken series is complete) that I will write and some of those already have names.
Yes or no: book turned into a movie?
· Yes! I love when great novels become movies!
What’s one question you’ve never been asked, and you really want to answer?
· Question: Where did you do most of your writing for Awaken?
Answer: I wrote some of my novel at home, but the place that I loved to go and write was a simple coffee shop in Chico, CA called Bidwell Perk. I would get up at 5:30 am just so I could be the first one at the coffee shop when it opened. I had a favorite spot; right in the corner. I could seclude myself and write for hours.
AND, that’s it!
· Thank you Imane for having me here today!
Three things run through my mind at this very moment…
ONE, my life as I once knew it will never be the same.
TWO, the person I’m in love with might not even exist.
THREE, the deception that has unfolded before me has the power of life and death.
Sixteen year old, Breanna Davis, has heard the saying; life isn’t always what it seems…well, that saying rings true now more than ever. As horrifying visions appear before her, revealing tragedies that will forever change the fate of those she loves, she realizes that she may be the only person who can stop them from becoming reality.
Amongst the chaos of this new discovery, Bre is faced with a stranger, Eve, who moves in on Bre’s friends and begins to follow her every move. As Eve’s true motives begin to surface, Bre must fight against, not only the visions, but the dangers Eve holds close.
There is another secret kept- Collin, a boy held captive in Bre’s dreams, the boy she is secretly falling in love with but isn’t sure he even exists. As she tries to make it work with Austin, an old friend who could possibly be more, Bre battles against her feelings for Collin.
Bre is faced with an almost impossible decision, to choose her life or follow her destiny. If she doesn’t intercede, people will certainly die. If she does, her own life could be at stake. In the end, if she fails, she’ll lose everything.
Released: March 2013
About the Author
In late 2008, Jaime found the pieces of her novel beginning to take form and a story was born. Soon she had a full novel in her hands and a writer was developed. Awaken is Jaime's first published novel. With many features still in the works, this debut novel is just a taste of the action-packed romantic thrillers to come from this aspiring new author.
Jaime now lives in Nevada with her husband and three boys. Loving life, and living a dream.