Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fireworks!

I know. I know, I know, I know. Today's July 4rth, and everybody is so happy America finally signed that Declaration of Independence so many years ago. Which means a few things.
a. So very few people are actually going to see this post since they're all busy partying. 
b. Which sucks, since this is an actually eye-opening, school-worthy essay.
c. But who cares, since I'm going to write it anyway.
So, theoretically, this took a lot of brainstorming and editing, and I timed the release date of this post to coincide with July 4rth, but truthfully, I'm writing this right now, will probably publish it in half an hour, and I came up with the idea a few minutes ago when I read a yahoo article on where to go see fireworks on the 4rth of July. 
So, have you ever wondered how much fireworks cost? There are so many options, so many colors, so many sizes, and thus so many different costs. But even the most basic fireworks are costly. And with our flailing economy, prices are still inflated. Budget cuts have effected Americans, as a country and as individuals. There are less teachers at schools, less open hours at the library, and less funds for cities and towns. My own city is not having 4rth of July Fireworks, but the Little League is saving the day and doing the fireworks for the town instead. Yet all over the U.S., cities are planning to continue with the tradition, which usually starts from 100,000, and can go up to millions. Literally, that money disappears in an explosion of colored fire. so, is it fair to anybody to burn so much money - money that could be used for so many other beneficial purposes, in a 15-25 minute show of a colorful sky? Admittedly, it is pretty. As a child, I looked forward to the 4rth of July for the fireworks. Would it be fair to ease a bit on the fireworks? And how is this different from what happens at Christmas time, or Halloween, or Easter, or Valentines, or any other one of the multitude of celebrations America goes through year after year?
Okay, that wasn't quite an essay as a very early, undeveloped sketch for the opening paragraph for the essay. I have no clear argument, and the paragraph sound more like something that would be presented at a debate, than an actual side of a debate. But it's late, I'm tired, and so maybe I'll finish it later.
(But, still, it was kinda good, no?)
*Update: OOOOO, and now, since I saw them a few days ago, a have even MORE ammunition. Polution, anybody? I mean, everybody is all about going green, and in my city of Santa Clara, bags are no longer offered for free at stores, in an effort to reduce waste and promote reusable bags. And those fireworks leave a hell of a lot of pollutants. After a fireworks show is over, especially if the night is bright (like if there's a full moon, or in my case, the lights of the entire city of San Fransisco), you can see a gray/black foggy cloud-like residue in the air. And the smell, god forbid, is poisonous - the acrid, sharp smell of used-up gunpowder.