Sunday, February 23, 2014

My Little Coming Of Age Moment

Growing up, I lived in a relatively small town, with a really small library and a very, very tiny children's section. I was at the mercy of whoever did the children's book shopping, but they knew what they were doing, and I grew up with books like Heidi, stuff by Roald Dahl, Avi, Lois Lowry, Louis Sachar, and Andrew Clements, Charlotte's Web, The Secret Garden, Narnia,  Little Women, The Little House on the Prairie, among others. Really, really good stuff.
Now, living in a somewhat large town, my younger sister goes to the library and picks up books like The Diary of a Wimpy Kid. And I'm not saying anything about that book...but the quality is just not as good as Roald Dahl books. Because of the large amount of options, she's overwhelmed, and picks books with the funnest-looking covers.
Problem is, I'm in the same situation. I google up book lists, read a few reviews, and chose teh books I want to read. And because most book lists feature recent books - published less than three years ago - I'm unwittingly missing out on a lot of really good reading material. My English teacher recently recommended I check out Tender at the Bone, and a family friend recommended In the Time of the Butterflies, and it's hit me that I've been reading...kind of dumb material for quite some time. Dumb as in the content, while it may be interesting, is not really stimulating my mind or helping me grow or any of that. Kind of like chick flicks. So I'm looking through older books - books that have stood the test of time. First, though, I'm going to find time to finish the irst two books that were recommended for me. A late-February resolution.