Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The 65

My goal: To read 50 book during this academic year. School started August 27, 2014 and I graduate June 12, 2015 God be willing. So, I have however many days there are from August 27 to June 12 to read 50 books. Sounds like a lofty goal, but this summer, I read a total of only 10 books over the course of almost 90 days, and so it's like I'm catching up. 

My other goal: What makes this slightly crazy in my opinion is that I want to review every one of those 50 books. And not a full length, 1000 word kind of review, but just general feelings about the book, little bit of analysis, stuff like that, so that the reviews are more like little pebbles I leave behind that huge boulders I struggle to reach.

The 50:
I need to read the classics. I know I need to do it, get some mental stimulation going, and it coincides well with school stuff. Also, I've been so out of sync with new/upcoming releases, what's hot and what's not, and with school looking hectic, I don't think I'll really have enough time to catch up. And yes, I haven't read any of these (not even Hamlet, which, according to state standard or something, I'm supposed to have read freshman year). Except for Adventures in Wonderland. But I'd love to reread that. And if you count, this list actually has 65 books in total, which gives me 15 books that I can pick up and give up on. The more the merrier.

Go tell it on the Mountain, Baldwin
Wuthering Heights,  Bronte
Seize the Day, Bellow
Great Expectations, Dickens
Jane Eyre, Bronte

Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky
King Lear, Shakespeare
Heart of Darkness, Conrad
Billy Budd, Melville

The Awakening, Chopin
Catch-22, Heller
The Old Man and the Sea, Hemmingway
East of Eden, Steinback
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Carrol
The Turn of the Screw, James
Babbit, Lewis
Light in August, Faulkner
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Joyce
Ceremony, Silko
Their Eyes Were Watching God, Thurston
As I Lay Dying, Faulkner
Candide, Voltaire
Othello, Shakespeare
Song of Solomon, Morrison
Anna Karenina, Tolstoy

Bless Me, Ultima, Anaya

The Glass Menagerie, Williams
Jude the Obscure, Hardy
The Jungle, Sinclair
Lord Jim, Conrad
Native Son, Wright
A Passage to India, Forster
Beloved, Morrison
The Color Purple, Walker

Cry, The Beloved Country, Paton
A Doll's House, Ibsen
An Enemy of the People, Ibsen
Ethan Frome, Wharton
Hedda Gabler, Ibsen
Obasan, Kogawa
Portrait of a Lady, James

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, Stoppard
The Sound and the Fury, Faulkner
A Streetcar Named Desire, Williams

The Tempest, Shakespeare
Waiting for Godot, Beckett
All the King's Men, Warren
All the Pretty Horses, McCarthy
Frankenstein, Shelley
Gulliver's Travels, Swift
Hamlet, Shakespeare
Jude the Obscure, Hardy
Madame Bovary, Flaubert
The Mayor of Casterbridge, Hardy
Medea, Euripides
The Merchant of Venice, Shakespeare
Moll Flanders, Defoe
Mrs. Dalloway, Wolfe
Murder in the Cathedral, Eliot
Pride and Prejudice, Austin
Sula, Morrison
Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Hardy
The Turn of the Screw, James
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?, Albee
Wide Sargasso Sea, Rhys