Thursday, November 13, 2014

Surprises

I've stumbled across this website. It's absolutely magnificent and I couldn't resist sharing. It's called The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows, and although it started out as a tumblr page, it's now launching as a video series (all the better. Visuals make is so much more poignant I think). From their page:

The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows is a new web series by John Koenig. The author’s mission is to capture the aches, demons, vibes, joys and urges that roam the wilderness of the psychological interior. Each sorrow is bagged, tagged and tranquilized, then released gently back into the subconscious.

The writing is positively marvelous, and I feel it puts into words what many of us have trouble describing. And as much as I'd love to use the words in everyday life, it's not a legitimate source, and most of the words in that dictionary are not really words at all (something to think about, huh? What makes a word a word? The fact that it appears and is defined in various dictionaries? Or simply agreed upon by the general public? Selfie was added to the Oxford Dictionary sometime last year or so, only after it had been used in popular culture for quite some time, and yet the word dord (see the post a few weeks back with the video by Micheal Stevens) is a legitimate word but actually first appeared in Merriam-Webster dictionaries as a typographical mistake. It goes both ways I guess.)

Here's one of my favorites:

rubatosis

n. the unsettling awareness of your own heartbeat, whose tenuous muscular throbbing feels less like a metronome than a nervous ditty your heart is tapping to itself, the kind that people compulsively hum or sing while walking in complete darkness, as if to casually remind the outside world, I’m here, I’m here, I’m here.