Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Infinite Sea

Yaay! Book review!!


Last year or so, I read The 5th Wave, by Rick Yancey. I feel like I wrote a review, and so you can probably scroll down and find that, but I loved it. It was super hyped up, ads were everywhere, and there was some speculation on how much money went into promoting it. It paid off though (ha. excuse the pun), because the book, the writing, Yancey, everything was wonderful. And then, the sequel came out. It came out September 16th, and I only first saw it over November break (think November 25 or so (and, side note, that's also when I read it. Why this review took forever, well, time is the longest distance between two places my friends)). The only reason I saw it was because it was nominated for the Goodreads Choice Award. Bottom line, they didn't hype it up as much as the first book. It makes sense, because it is the second book in the series, but I was just so disappointed that it had been released without my knowledge...It was a fantastic book though, so that all makes up for it.

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.
Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.
Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate. 

As for my thoughts. Compared to the first book, which I rated a 5/5 stars on Goodreads (although it was more like 50/5 stars in my head), this book is more like a 4/5 stars. I still gave it a 5 star rating on Goodreads, because it really is fantastic. Just a little bit less spectacular than the first. Often times what happens in the second book to a trilogy is that it acts as a bridge between the first and the third. Setting things up, building up tension, et cetera. The Infinite Sea was perhaps lacking in the constant action seen in the previous book, but so many questions were answered. I hate to refer to these books as 'alien' books because of the impression it gives off, but a lot of the alien origins, motives, more theoretical aspects were discussed. As in the 5th Wave, lots of wonderful literary devices used. Beautiful similes and metaphors, clever analogies, generally fun trinkets. 

Character wise, we see a lot of the back stories. Cassie takes a much more back seat position, and there's a lot of focus on Ringer. I really, really like Cassie, and not so much Ringer, and I was constantly waiting for the short Cassie-focused chapters. In fact, I would venture as far as to say I didn't like Ringer's character. And seeing how she nearly stars in this book, it speaks volumes that I still love this book.

Yancey is a magnificent writer. I love, love, love his style. He switches between philosophical and serious, gut wrenching, emotional, action packed...


Wonderful. I can't wait for more.